The topic of Adaptation to Climate Change has, over the past few years, significantly gained in momentum in the context of multilateral climate negotiations. Most recently, the Paris Decision and the Paris Agreement have enshrined several key advances on that topic:
- A Global Goal for Adaptation was agreed
- A periodic review of the implementation of adaptation, as part of a global stocktake that assesses collective progress towards achieving the purpose of the Paris Agreement and its long-term goals
- Adaptation was raised to the same level of focus as mit- igation
- The Paris Decision outlined the need to “significantly [increase] adaptation finance from current levels” (Ar- ticle 115).
- This need is real, and has recently been outlined by UNEP Deputy Director, Dr. Thiaw, during the 2016 Ad- aptation Futures event: